At the auction of Miss Rosie’s estate I purchased a box of Charles Dickens old hard covered books all of which have inscriptions to the father of the family, also to my delight and surprise the box contained some random photos. My research will begin around these plus I will go on to the ancestry.com.au web site to do further investigation, I may even door knock her street!
Below is a list of the photos:
– Victorian photo of a Victorian lady dressed in a wedding gown by Hammer & Co Adelaide “Vice Regal Photographers”
– Beautiful head and shoulder shot of women in off the shoulder black dress, 1900? By Hammer & Co inscribed on back “Bessie Caroline Clayton”
– Wedding photo of regal looking woman. Hammer &n Co. Inscribed on back “Frances Laughton (nee Clayton) married December 1913 at St Peter’s Cathedral, Adelaide SA
– Wedding photo another regal looking young woman, Hammer & Co. Inscribed on back Ruby Susannah Heseltine (nee Clayton) married in St Peter’s College Chapel 1908.
– Group of 6 men with golf clubs around 1900.
– Yankalilla Anglican Church School House 1900 a number of children in the photo.
– Two Victorian ladies sitting outside a house, could be mother and daughter, inscription on back says “B.C. and Elizabeth Clayton at 9 Robe Terrace, Medindie early 1900’s.
I also know from attending the auction that there was a lot of St Peter’s College memorabilia such as beautiful trophies and school photo albums, Miss Rosie’s father attended the prestigious Adelaide boys college.
Miss Rosie’s mother Frances came from the Clayton family who appear to be very well to do and she appeared to marry well when in 1913 she married Mr…………….Laughton in the stately St Peter’s Cathedral.
Amazing how much information can be gained from a few old photos. It is also very possible that someone reading this blog will know something of these people that I am writing about, it would be amazing if they made contact!
Blessings Julie gcg